Thread: Holley 2280 Accelerator Pump problems

Default Holley 2280 Accelerator Pump problems

Hi,

I'm having problems with the stock Holley 2280 2-bbl carb that came on my 1985 Dodge D150. I rebuilt it and have put everything back together but for some reason the accelerator pump is not working at all. There isn't much help around the Web for this particular model and I haven't found anything on the Holley site.

From what I understand, the accelerator pump pushes fuel down through the hole in the bottom, which then pushes UP a check ball and weight that sits underneath the venturi cluster and fuel is SUPPOSED to squirt out from somewhere. What I don't understand is ... where is that "somewhere?"

When I have the venturi cluster in place, the accelerator pump passage is air-tight and simply WON'T push down at all... no fuel squirting out of anywhere. When I remove the venturi cluster, I can see the pressure push the check ball and weight up.

My question is: Where is the fuel supposed to go? From what I can see the passage where the check ball and weight sits doesn't have ANY holes, and neither does the corresponding area in the venturi cluster. Perhaps the fuel is directed to different passages underneath of the checkball? Can someone point out where the fuel squirts from so I can see if it still has some blocked passages.

The 2280 Holley accelerator pump discharge ports are located in the booster cluster. Based on your discription they are plugged. They will be drilled on a angle and will intersect the passage in the cluster above the check valve.

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply, Tom. As you can probably tell, this is my first carb rebuild. I was convinced that there weren't any passages in the checkvalve area, but I went ahead and took a small paperclip and started scraping at the wall inside. Sure enough, some corrosion/crud flaked off and sure enough... two tiny holes! It was so smooth it looked flawless... I had no idea they were there.

Hopefully I can get them cleaned out and free.... thanks so much for your help!

Your Welcome,
    I'm glad I could offer assistance.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    The 2280 Holley accelerator pump discharge ports are located in the booster cluster. Based on your discription they are plugged. They will be drilled on a angle and will intersect the passage in the cluster above the check valve.

Tom
    This is the kind of information that might uncle is looking for. As you can see, my uncle is also having similar scenario with azcycle that concerns on the acceleration pump diaphragm and it's kinda hard to look for info like this for a dodge d150. Lucky I was able to find it. Anyway, I'm gonna let my uncle read this. Thanks for sharing it.