Thread: problems after rebuild

Default problems after rebuild

Hey gang. First off, my carb is a 4160 with vacuum secondary and electric choke. After cleaning and hopefully reassembling properly I installed it on my car. Upon start up, the car ran real rich. I adjusted the floats so the fuel level is at the sight holes. The idle mixture screws did not change anything, and it appears that there is a lot of fuel flowing out of the booster tubes. I searched on this site for an answer but no luck. I believed I followed the instructions about setting all the adjustments properly but one never knows! Anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

Could be a float, power valve issue but sounds like your pulling from the primary system. Check throttle blade adjustment, zero in on the transfer slot measurement.

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

Another issue I have come across, is a very weak pump shot. The fuel level is at the proper level. The pump cam is set on the number one hole and the accelerator pump is adjusted according to the directions. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dc1955 View Post
    Another issue I have come across, is a very weak pump shot. Any other ideas?
    Maybe it has a small discharge nozzle?
    http://www.holley.com/types/Pump%20D...%20Nozzles.asp (Pump Discharge Nozzles)
    http://www.holley.com/121-7.asp (Hollow Pump Discharge Nozzle Screw)
    May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

Hey gang. I like all the people who use this site appreciate all the knowledge that you hand out to help us but sometimes we do things that cause issues that all your suggestions won't even help. So after trying all the things you suggested and nothing helped I decided to recheck all my work. It turns out I had the wrong gasket that goes between the metering block and the carb body. I used the one with a large hole around the power valve that did not seal up the squirter hole and allowed fuel to flow into the throttle plate and was the cause of a weak pump shot. After putting on the correct gasket what a difference! Again, thank you for all you do.

That's a common mistake, glad you found it.