Thread: 4160 confusion

Default 4160 confusion

I have a question about the 4160 carb. The website says that 4160 1850-C carbs can't be used with Chrysler overdrives. I currently have a Dodge project truck with a 4160 1850-3 carb but it's just a 904 (non-overdrive) transmission right now. I'm gonna do a motor swap and plan on using the existing carb, and swapping to a 518 transmission (727 w/overdrive). Can the 1850-3 be used with Chrysler overdrives or is it just the 1850-C that can't be used? I would rather not buy a new carb.

Quote Originally Posted by 331hemi View Post
    The website says that 4160 1850-C carbs can't be used with Chrysler overdrives.
    Maybe not as is, but it can be modified to function properly, if you get the throttle valve cable geometry correct.
    Holley has to post that warning to protect themselves from customers who don't know how to setup a TV cable.
    Before I converted to EFI, I successfully used a Holley carburetor (with same OD warning) and a Ford AOD transmission.

Using an aftermarket adjustable throttle valve cable kit (Lokar KD-2518HT), and maybe an additional throttle lever bracket (Holley 20-121 or 20-14 & 20-40), it can work properly. (Disregard the Holley 20-121 bracket references pertaining to GM transmissions, because the Lokar fitting clips on the same way.) It's all about pulling the TV cable, the same distance as the throttle lever actuation. The Holley 20-121 bracket pulls it less and the Holley 20-14 bracket (inverted) pulls it more. One way or another, it's possible.
    May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires