Thread: dominator efi knock sensors

Smile dominator efi knock sensors

What knock sensors are recommended for the Dominator EFI, since I do not see any listed available from Holley specifically for this unit?
    I intend to run 2 knock sensors for the added security.

The knock sensors are not necessarily "specific" to the ECU; they're specific to your engine. What engine is this for?
    Generally speaking, it's good to use the knock sensor(s) that was originally equipped on your engine or engine series, if possible.
    If there isn't a 2-wire non-resonant knock sensor(s) available for your particular cylinder bore diameter, use a 1-wire resonant knock sensor(s).
    Read System ICF Tuning - Ignition Parameters. The AC Delco PN 213-324, GM PN 10456288 is often used as a universal knock sensor and now that the sensitivity can be tuned by the ECU software, it's a viable option. I'm also using two of these sensors for my dual knock sensor installation.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 06-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

Smile knock sensor info

Thanks Dan.
    The application is a Jaguar all alloy V12 that originally had Jetronic injection, (no knock sensor.)
    Bore x Stroke is similar to GM 2.8 liter, (but times 2)
    The one wire units need to be "tuned", correct? (Meaning you need to know the frequency of the sensor?)

Quote Originally Posted by bw5500 View Post
    The one wire units need to be "tuned", correct? (Meaning you need to know the frequency of the sensor?)
    Both types need to be appropriately selected & tuned for the engine in question. However, in my opinion, the application criteria (frequency) of a 1-wire resonant sensor is less critical, since the sensitivity (of both types) can be adjusted/tuned.

Excerpt from the EFI software manual:
    A 1-wire resonant sensor typically is designed for an intended knock signal frequency. It is affected by the specific engine, chassis, and installation as well.
    A 2-wire non-resonant sensor has a knock output frequency that is primarily driven by the bore diameter of the engine. A chart is provided below to provide the user with a calculated starting frequency.

Holley: This aforementioned chart is not illustrated in the software manual.

Edit: The chart has been added to the software.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g?t=1318157168

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....-to-Holley-EFI
    (My dual knock sensors - Dominator EFI)
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 07-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks Dan,
    How do you know what to set the knock frequency at in the software?
    What I mean is, do you know what the original frequency was, for example, on the previously noted GM/Delco sensor?
    Wouldn’t that be the starting point for setting the sensor software, or am I not looking at the instructions correctly?

The 1-wire resonant sensor's frequency refers to the specific knock sensor itself (no tuning involved).
    The 2-wire non-resonant sensor's frequency is primarily based upon the cylinder bore diameter (user needs to determine frequency).
    The sensitivity of both, involves tuning by recording & reviewing datalogs; read "System ICF Tuning - Ignition Parameters".

Do you think the 98-06 GM-Ls based sensor would be better on an aluminum engine than the older example? (Just looking to confirm a guess on this.)
    Last edited by bw5500; 06-16-2010 at 04:31 AM.

I'm not familiar with the application specific knock sensors. Are you referring to 1-wire resonant or 2-wire non-resonant knock sensors? Honesty, I don't know enough about how well either type of knock sensor functions on an aluminum block (or if it differs at all). Unfortunately, a lot of this knock sensor implementation is 'trial & error'.

Thanks, I thought I just had a glitch in my system, but I guess it's missing in all releases so far.
    I would prefer the two wire for my set up.