Thread: Holley Pro-Jection 4Di Help

Default Holley Pro-Jection 4Di Help

We bought a AMC 360 with a Holley projection 4di system on it. Opened the ECU up and the chip is the original so it requires us to use the 2.1 software. I finally found a win 95 laptop to be able to hook up to the ECU tonight. We have got the jeep started without the laptop but are having a few issues and wondering where to start. Turn the key on-> fuel pump kicks on-> turn the key to start-> motor cranks but no fuel from injectors. but if you whack the gas to wide open for a second the injectors gives the motor a quick shot and then will fire right up. (for Tach signal I have the yellow wire tied into the tach output on our GM style HEI). once the motor is up and running its idles up to around 2000rpm and that is with the idle screw threaded all the way out. If i slowly put my finger over the IAC port it will idle down, but once my finger is removed it goes right back up to 2,000, I did install a new oxygen sensor into the headers. When we bought the motor it seem to run well and all we did was pull the motor down and have the heads re-done and then new gaskets through out. We have not had this hooked up to a laptop at all and not sure what it will show or help me with. I have a friend coming over this weekend to help, he has never worked with this system but he is a good ASE mechanic and avid drag racer so I hope the info the software spits out is something he can understand.
    Motor is nothing fancy AMC 360, bored 030 over, fresh stock heads, GM/HEI style ignition, Headman Headers , TH400 Trans.

Thanks for your help in advance, of course we are on a tight time frame supposed to be taking the Jeep to Silver Lake sand dunes in a week, and I really want to keep the injection vs going backwards and throwing a carb on it.

Scott

The TPS voltage at idle (on the 4D & Di systems) has to be set at .58 volts. This is imperative for proper operation.
    If you adjust the idle speed, you must also reset the TPS sensor voltage at idle. Read page 34 below:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...cal/R10022.pdf Holley Pro-Jection 4Di manual

Read page 30 for some preliminary IAC software settings.
    Also, ensure the IAC wiring is not in close proximity to the spark plug wires.

Read page 19 for correct RPM signal connection (yellow vs. yellow/black wire).
    Are you using computer controlled ignition timing?

Read page 38 for checking the fuel pressure.
    As old as it is, it may be out of adjustment or have a failed regulator.
    If you need a fuel pressure regulator diaphragm:
    http://www.holley.com/512-1.asp (Fuel Pressure Regulator Service Kit)
    May God's Grace Bless You

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks for the reply.

Will the laptop/data monitor tell me if i have a bad sensor?

at first it did idle back down, but felt it was a little low so we idled it up some without touching the TPS sensor, did not know the 2 went hand in hand.

We are using a gm style HEI ignition and Woody said to hook up the yellow wire to tach sense wire.

our starting procdure is completly incorrect to what it says in the manual. is that fuel pressure related?

I will get laptop hooked back up tonight and see what it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by paperboy326 View Post
    Will the laptop/data monitor tell me if i have a bad sensor?
    Not exactly, however, it will indicate an inoperative sensor or if its values are out of range.

Our starting procedure is completely incorrect to what it says in the manual. Is that fuel pressure related?
    What do you mean by "starting procedure"?
    The fuel pressure should be 15-21 psi, depending on which throttle body/injectors you have.
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 05-31-2012 at 01:28 PM.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, custom traction bars, 4" lift, 35" mud tires

From page 36

"Do not touch the throttle control. Crank the engine for 3-5 seconds. The engine should start, or start and stall.
    If the engine did not start or did not continue running, press the accelerator pedal to throttle. Crank the
    engine with the throttle in this position until the engine starts or for 12 seconds. If the engine does not start
    after 12 seconds, the engine may be flooded. Allow the starter motor to cool. To use the “Clear Flood” mode,
    increase the throttle control to wide open and hold while cranking. As soon as the engine starts, release the
    throttle control to the idle position. Do not crank the engine for more than 15 seconds at a time to prevent
    premature starter failure"

When I crank the motor over we dont get any injector spray, but if we turn the key on and push the pedal to wide open (without cranking the motor over) it give it a quick shot of fuel then turn the key to start and it fires right up.

Scott

That starting procedure is just for the initial start after the EFI system installation.
    Once you have the idle area tuned, you'll start the engine as you would normally.

If the injectors aren't spraying fuel while cranking, the ECU probably isn't receiving an RPM signal.