Thread: Fuel Pump Cuts Off When Brake Pedal Is Pushed

Question Fuel Pump Cuts Off When Brake Pedal Is Pushed

Hello all. I have a 1984 Chevy C10 with a Holley Fuel Pump installed.
    When I turn the ignition, the fuel pump cuts on as it should.
    When the truck is running and the brake pedal is pushed, the fuel pump will cut off and the truck will die.

My questions is can this be due to a fuel pump kill switch?
    Or is this something that is due to a booster being bad, lines are not good, etc.?
    Thank you, and any feedback is greatly appreciated. -Nick

Could be the fuel pump is wired wrong. The battery, a ground connection, and true ignition wires should go to a relay. The relay will give the fuel pump power. The ground connection for the fuel pump should be to a cleaned spot of the frame. Don't use the body for this connection.

I remember seeing a lot of S10 trucks where the reverse lights would come on, and the taillights would dim with the brakes were pressed, because of a bad ground. Could be your brake lights don't have a good ground, and you have an electrical switch shutting off your pump. Just a guess, but an easy test would be to remove the brake lights and hit the brake. If it stays running you need to fix your taillight ground.